26 August 2009

Headline News

So. I wrote a new poem from a prompt on Read.Write.Poem. I'm pretty happy with this one. It's inspired by the news headlines written by one of my good friends, Mark Harrison, who is a columnist for the Fort Payne, AL Times-Journal. The headline was "The Quest Leads to the Road Less Wild."



[The Enemy You Know is Better than the One You Don’t]



The road less traveled some would argue
would be the best course to take
I, on the other hand, would rather
take the easy route, the one I know



For who knows where the less traveled
road may lead, probably over the hills
and far away from the place I want to be
which is not any where I’d like to end my travels



Even though I might go astray on my path
frolicking in the daisies and daffodils
this quest so often called life
always leads me down the road less wild

9 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

A very creative piece of work! I enjoyed the read and the road!

rallentanda said...

Very sweet poem.I enjoyed the simplicity.
I took the poem literally and took the road less travelled which has more twists and turns than yours. Too late to turn back.

anthonynorth said...

Often it is the preferred road. Nicely done.

Cynthia Short said...

I very much enjoyed your poem. It has a gentle sweetness about it that is refreshing. Coincidentally, I wrote a piece last week referencing "The Road Less Traveled" entitled Robert Frost. If you are interested in the comparison of thought you can find my poem on my blog.
http://cynthiashort.blogspot.com

Paul Oakley said...

I like the way this flips Frost, Meg. Mind you, I love Frost. But it is too tempting to accept a great poets word on things rather than trusting one's own insight.

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to show your poem to your friend Mark H. I showed my headline-prompted poem to the newspaper reporter who wrote the article, and he was so pleased!

Unknown said...

We may imagine that we will always be safer on the path we know - but who knows?! Yours is a gentle path indeed.

Nathan said...

The poem takes a surprising turn in its sentiment. Well done.

Wayne Pitchko said...

very nice....sweet indeed...and simple....which I always enjoy..keep creating and using your imagination...it will get you far